Collect Avios effortlessly in 2022 with Barclays Avios Rewards
It’s what we’ve all been waiting for: the only UK current account that can collect Avios for you, regardless of your activity, and it’s all thanks to Barclays Premier Banking
Looking forward to finally getting away in 2022? Well now you can make it that bit easier with a generous helping of Avios thanks to Barclays Avios Rewards1. Simply sign up and, for just £12 a month, you’ll see 1,500 Avios drop into your account every month – whether you’re grounded or not. To be eligible, you must be a UK resident and Barclays Premier Banking2 customer – with £75,000 annual income being paid into a Barclays current account – or have £100,000 saved or invested with them. If you're not already a Premier customer, perhaps the additional perks will tempt you: you'll have access to exclusive mortgage and savings products, a dedicated UK-based team and an exclusive black debit card with a £1,000 limit on daily cash withdrawals. And if that's not enough, if you're new to Barclays and complete a full switch via the Current Account Switch Service3 within three months of opening, you'll receive a joining bonus of 25,000 Avios if you opt in to Barclays Avios Rewards (2,500 Avios if you've been with Barclays for four months or more).
Once you’re all set, start watching those Avios roll in every month. Even without collecting any Avios elsewhere, you’ll have enough from your Barclays Avios Rewards account after one year to get yourself a return British Airways Reward Flight Saver to one of many coveted European destinations.4 What’s more, you’ll be gifted the added perk of a British Airways cabin upgrade voucher5, for use on any Avios Reward Flight booking, delivered to you upon each anniversary of your signing up to Barclays Avios Rewards. This means you can upgrade your chosen flight from World Traveller (economy) to World Traveller Plus (premium economy). Or, if you’re already going premium economy, step up to Club Europe or Club World (business) as a nice anniversary celebration – every single year.
So now you’ve effortlessly started collecting Avios, it’s time to plan how to spend them. Here are four destinations that should be top of your 2022 list.
St Kitts & Nevis
Can’t resist the allure of lapping waves, rustling palm fronds and sun-kissed skin? Pop over to ba.com and use your Avios to bag flights to the Caribbean’s most idyllic islands: St Kitts and Nevis (32,500 Avios plus taxes, fees and charges for an off-peak economy return flight*). What’s more, you can do it in style with Avios, which will also get you a five-star stay at one of the island’s lavish abodes. A sunset-view villa at the Four Seasons Resort Nevis boasts an elevated position, offering excellent views of the volcanic landscape in a stylish, palatial environment complete with private pool. If a change of pace from sunbathing, swimming and all-round reclining is in order, consider an excursion on the St Kitts Scenic Railway, which takes visitors on a three-hour tour of the area to see old sugar mills, local towns and impressive views of the Mount Liamuiga’s cones and lush, forested slopes.
Hop over to Stockholm for a mere 23,500 Avios plus £1 (off-peak return Reward Flight Saver economy flights*) and lose yourself in the city’s eclectic culture. Spend a day browsing its many museums (don’t miss the ABBA museum, which features virtual costumes visitors can ‘try on’) and taste the national delicacy at Meatballs for the People, which serves 14 types of sustainable meatball including moose, ox and cockerel. Bed down in minimalist style at any of the sleek, modern boltholes (the Långholmen Hotell offers something a bit different: redesigned cells within an old prison on an island in Lake Mälaren) or head straight into the wilderness for unimpeded escape. Sweden is two thirds forest, so you don’t have to go far to get away from the hubbub. Head north for guided hikes, sled rides and the best chance of seeing the northern lights in Kiruna, in the Arctic Circle.
Accrued an impressive amount of Avios and want to splash out? Treat yourself to an off-peak business flight to Canada’s third largest city and the gateway to the Pacific Ocean: Vancouver. For just 125,000 Avios plus taxes, fees and charges*, you could be winging your way to a world of poutine and palm trees (we’re not kidding – windmill palms thrive in Vancouver’s coastal climate) and breathing some of the freshest urban air available (city officials have instigated a plan to make Vancouver the greenest city in the world). Take a ferry to Vancouver Island, whose Victorian architecture and varied topography make for a fascinating few days, with whale watching, skiing, scuba-diving and hiking all on the books for those with energy to burn. Keen to go off the beaten track? Book a flight and hire car combo with your Avios and pick up your wheels when you land at the airport.
Morocco is well known for its bustling riads, mosaiced mosques and spice-smelling souks, but not necessarily for its impressive and decadent hotels. Headline cities Marrakech, Rabat and Casablanca have all the sights, scents and experiences, but they also have luxurious oases of calm tucked within. Soak in thermal baths, dine on Michelin-starred food and lose yourself in stunning sunsets from the privacy of your own riad in Marrakech, or leave urbanity behind and head into the Sahara desert for a night camping under the stars – in comfort, of course (some camps provide porters, golf courses and four-course dinners). Do as much or as little as you like and get there for just 27,500 Avios plus £1 (off-peak return Reward Flight Saver economy flights flying to Marrakech in Euro Traveller)*.
1. You can opt in to Barclays Avios Rewards if you're a Premier Banking customer or have a personal Wealth current account with Barclays - you'll need to register for the Barclays app and have a British Airways Executive Club account too. There's a £12 monthly fee and you have to opt out of Barclays Blue Rewards and go paperless for all your accounts and services with Barclays. To access Barclays Avios Rewards in the Barclays app, you need to be over 18. You can join Premier Banking if you have an income of £75,000 or £100,000 held with Barclays. T&Cs apply.
2. To join Barclays Premier Banking, you'll need to have a minimum of £100,000 in savings or investments with Barclays or have an annual gross income of £75,000 or more paid into a Barclays current account. Barclays will review your eligibility for Premier Banking regularly. If your circumstances change and you no longer meet the Premier eligibility criteria, Barclays will switch your account to the Barclays Bank Account in its Personal Banking Service.
3. To qualify for the 25,000 Avios joining bonus, you’ll need to join Barclays Avios Rewards – within 4 months of opening your first Barclays current account. Then, you’ll need to complete a full switch of your old current account to Barclays, using the Current Account Switch Service – within 3 months of joining Barclays Avios Rewards. You will then receive your joining bonus in the fourth month of Barclays Avios Rewards membership
4. Reward Flight Saver fare quoted is subject to availability. Terms plus £9 for your taxes, fees and carrier charges per person apply. Other pricing options are available. Visit ba.com to learn how to use your Avios and for more information about Reward Flight Saver. All tangible examples accurate as of November 2021.
5. There are additional terms and conditions for these vouchers – please visit the British Airways website for more information. Cabin upgrade voucher terms apply. Reward flights and cabin upgrades are subject to availability. Taxes, fees and carrier charges per person apply.
*REWARD FLIGHT TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- All prices and Avios amounts quoted are correct as of 11 November 2021.
- Reward Flight Savers are British Airways’ best value reward flights. Reward Flight Saver offers customers great value flights with a low, flat fee to cover taxes, fees and carrier charges and a fixed Avios amount. To be eligible for Reward Flight Saver, you need to have collected at least one Avios in the past 12 months. To find out more about Reward Flight Saver, click here. Reward flights are subject to availability.
- Reward Flights are available to any Executive Club Members with an Avios balance. In addition to your Avios, the only cash amount required for Reward Flights is to cover the taxes, fees and carrier charges. Your chosen date of travel will determine whether you pay a peak or off-peak Avios amount. When booking Reward Flights, you can choose all peak dates, all off-peak dates or a mixture of the two. The taxes, fees and carrier charges will vary dependent on airline, class of travel and destination and will be calculated when you book your flights. Travel in World Traveller Plus (premium economy), Club Europe and Club World (business) and First will result in higher taxes, fees and carrier charges. The final fee (i.e. Avios plus payable taxes, fees and carrier charges) will be displayed at the final stage of your booking.